ShareThis

Tuesday 17 April 2012

Where Do We Go When We Die?

Photo: Thomas Fileding


After a recent death of a dear friend, a question struck in my head... What happens when we die?
I am sure that there are ALOT of different opinions and to be honest I believe it mostly comes down to what the individual believes.

We all hear ghost stories. In fact not only do we hear them but we also watch the millions of ghost TV shows (ok 'slight' exaggeration here). We have to wonder though... How much of these shows are real? How much is set up to attract ratings and viewers. Maybe we do become ghosts? Or maybe we only become ghosts if we have 'unfinished business'?

Different religions have different beliefs as to what happens when you die. Christians believe that we go to heaven. Buddhists believe in the rebirth of a person.

Scientific experiments have also been performed. They stop a persons heart , which 'kills' them ( I'm using the word kill for convenience rather than that being the correct word to use), and then they restart their heart. Most people mentioned a tunnel and a bright light. Due to a high amount of people having the same answer, there are still speculations that this ' bright light ' could simply be the light on the operating table.

So where do we go when we die? what happens to us? I find it hard to believe that when we die nothing happens and we simply just cease to exist!

What do you think? Comment below, all opinions are welcome.

5 comments:

  1. It is one of those mysteries that keeps people going. I think that the world would be a very different place if we actually knew what happened.

    I have actually been touched by a ghost, which I recently did a guest post about, but it was not a positive experience at all. I definitely think that some part of us lingers if there is unfinished business, as you said. But I think and hope that there is something more and something better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very interesting :) your comment is appreciated , would you be able to link me to the guest post you wrote?

      Delete
  2. This is the best explanation I have ever heard (meaning the one that touched me the most), and it comes from the book "A Ring of Endless Light" by Madeleine L'Engle.
    --
    A little boy asks his big sister if it is possible that there is a planet with people who don't have eyes. Would they still be ok without eyes?

    Yes, she says. It certainly could happen, and they would compensate with other senses to understand the world around them.

    But they wouldn't know what anything looks like, right? You would never be able to tell them what something looks like because they couldn't understand what you were saying.

    That's right. They just couldn't understand.

    Then maybe, he says, when we die, we get something as important as eyes, but since we don't have it, there's no way we could ever know what it is until we're there.
    --
    It's so simple that it just might work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked that !!!!! thankyou for sharing :) Its quite a smart way of thinking about it

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure any one religion is truly correct about this, but they all seem to come down to the fact they believe there is something more. Personally i believe that we all have a 'spirit' that lives on somewhere. I hope so anyway as i never got to say goodbye to my parents and I hope to see them again. Anyway moving on, when i was about 8 i did have some sort of ghostly encounter. I was out with my foster parents and we were having a picnic, and although it was a lovely day i was very upset that day. I decided to go for a little walk on my own as i didn't want to cry in front of my sister. When i was far enough away the tears came and it seemed like they wouldn't slow down. But just then in the middle of a near empty field i felt arms around me. At 1st i jumped (and probably screamed) but their warmth and what i can only describe as love, soon washed over me. I can't be sure, but it felt like my Mum hugging me. You could say it was perhaps just longing but i say sum1 actually hugged me that day. And though i miss my parents i took it that they are always with me. <3

    ReplyDelete